๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: A Well-Trained Wife: My Escape from Christian Patriarchy, by Tia Levings

A Well-Trained Wife: My Escape from Christian Patriarchy
There are some books I read that I just want to skywrite the importance of. Tia Levings has bared her soul in this unputdownable memoir filled with heart, grit, and jaw-dropping courage. Being part of the homeschool community, but not having made the choice for religious reasons, I have been caught off guard a few times by brow-raising comments from homeschool moms. Some have admitted they can only vote for whomever the husband decides, that they have to get approval for homeschool curriculum from their husbands even though they are the primary teacher, and that they did not want to have a gaggle of children, but it wasn't their choice. I have been told that the husband is the only one who is able lead the family to heaven, that they must tolerate their husband's cruelty because divorce is not an option, and that the bible says they should be submissive to their spouse under any and all circumstances. Many of these comments have left me scratching my head, but it wasn't until I read this eye-opening book that I realized that many of these women have no choice in these matters. Not only have they been raised in this belief system, but these realities are also a closely guarded secret that many never reveal. This book shines light on the fact that many ultra-conservative Christian women are in an abusive situation that they cannot escape and includes some horrific details that absolutely broke my heart. It angers me to no end when people hide behind their religion, but to use religion in such a perverse way that excuses domestic violence is evil on another level. I have been a Christian all my life, but I refuse to accept that Christ would ever sanction abuse in any form, especially within the family unit.

This book sheds light on religious extremism and how it can infiltrate family life, communities, and even politics. Tia Levings I am in awe of you for speaking out๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ.

Many thanks to partners, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for this gifted review copy.

Read 8/13/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...