๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: My Side of the River, by Elizabeth Camarillo Gutierrez

My Side of the River
This memoir brought back so many memories for me! Growing up in Tucson, as a daughter of immigrants, I literally felt so much of what this author went through. I remember never fitting in, always feeling the need to prove myself as an "American," never having the nice clothes my "friends" at school had. I vividly remember shopping at a store called Pic 'n' Save for necessities and "slightly imperfect" clothes. I also remember never wanting anyone to know that my Dad took on a second job at Burger King just to make ends meet.

Despite it all, I also knew that my family always had my back, I recognized how much they had given up for a better life for me, and I respected their incredible work ethic. Success in school was of utmost importance for me to attend college and secure a good job.

However, Elizabeth had it so much worse than I did. The rising anti-immigrant sentiment in this country has been at an all-time high during her youth. My experiences in Tucson occurred 2 decades prior to hers, so the stigma back then was much less prevalent. Also, my parents were able to obtain their green cards under an immigration system that seemed to favor Western European immigrants. Eventually, they were naturalized, so we never lived with the fear of them being deported.

Elizabeth's reality was much more indicative of what immigrants go through every single day in this country today. The path to citizenship is much more obscure, making it difficult for families to remain together in the US despite their children having been born in this country. Her story is incredibly important, and one that must be taken into account as immigration reform takes center stage.

Many thanks to partners, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for this gifted review copy. And thanks a ton Elizabeth Camarillo Gutierrez for the insight, the Tucson memories (the Rillito River analogy was ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ), and the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...