๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: A Short Walk Through a Wide World, by Douglas Westerbeke

A Short Walk Through a Wide World
I feel like this novel was an attempt to impart some ethereal wisdom that I was supposed to appreciate, but all I can say is, "What the hayl did I just read???!!!" Clearly, I was not intelligent enough to understand what the author was hoping to promulgate. Honestly, it took me FOREVER to finish this book... like 2 months๐Ÿ˜ฑ!!! I just couldn't get into it, but I never gave up! The bloody scenes were just too much for me to stomach, and such a strange way to move the plot along. The frustration of Aubrey never being able to escape her unbidden reality only ended up frustrating me.

This book was likened to Addie LaRue, which is the reason I chose to read it, but I must respectfully disagree. Whereas I absolutely adored Addie LaRue, I muddled through this one. I feel terrible being so forthright about my feelings with regard to the book because I know this was the author's debut and he poured his heart into it, but I must be honest, it just wasn't for me. 

However, don't discount it just because of my opinion - if your thing is magical realism with moments of horror, and a tinge of mystery, this might be your cup of tea! But beware of a nonlinear and confusing (for me) storyline that will leave you with many unanswered questions.

Truth be told, I just don't think I was the target audience, so Ima go rinse my palate with something light and lovely.

Many thanks to partners, Avid Reader Press & NetGalley for this gifted review copy! So sorry I didn't love it y'all๐Ÿ™ˆ.

Read 5/22/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...