๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: A Place to Hide, by Ronald H. Balson

A Place to Hide
Comin' atcha on this World Smile Day with gratitude for all of my blessings. Each time I read a novel about WWII, it hits me how privileged we are here in the USA to be so far across the pond and to have avoided so much horror in both World Wars.

This particular story enlightened me on the plight of the Netherlands in WWII. Despite their neutrality that kept them from the atrocities of the First World War, unfortunately, that didn't stop Hitler from incurring his wrath this time around.

This particular story follows Teddy Hartigan as he is assigned as US Consulate in Amsterdam in a quickly declining situation. Teddy, along with help from those closest to him, manages to save the lives of many children.

I found this book informative, and I always appreciate the effort that goes into writing historical fiction. The multiple timelines added an interesting element, albeit using a common method, a journalist as an audience surrogate. I would say this book is written in a very straightforward manner, perhaps lacking the depth I crave in these stories. It would be a good novel for young adults, in my opinion, offering crucial history lessons along the way.

Many thanks to partner, St. Martin's Press for this gifted review copy.

Read 10/3/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...