๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ The Story of Beautiful Girl, by Rachel Simon

This novel was undeniably eye-opening. I was completely unaware of the magnitude of mistreatment that residents of state institutions underwent during this time period. I must assume that I’m not the only ignorant individual on this subject, as shockingly, there seems to be little documentation on it... Historical fiction novels such as these, do a tremendous job of raising awareness.

The story was heartbreaking, yet ultimately redeeming… the author chose to use a 40-year stretch of time, which lent to affection for the characters. Homan and Lynnie were endearing, and I found myself wanting to know what would happen to them, hoping that they’d be ok. I must admit that the end was a bit of a reach, but sweet, nonetheless.

I'll also mention that I truly appreciated the author's note at the end of the novel, which explained her personal connection to the story, and gave more background to the historical aspect as well.


Read 12/9/14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...