๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Disappeared, by Rebecca J. Sanford

The Disappeared
It is amazing how many stories are based on tragic and inhumane events in history. Each time I read a new one, I am certain I have read them all, and each time, I am shocked anew๐Ÿ˜ข. How can leaders in government exact such vicious cruelty on humans? This question haunts me each time I learn of persecutions in the name of absolute power under the guise of justice.

In this particular novel, based on actual events, @rebeccajsanford takes us into the heart of Argentina's Dirty War of the late 1970s. At a time when political upheaval was at its worst in the form of a military dictatorship, Lorena Ledesma and her husband are kidnapped, without a trace, from their home.

The rest of the story is a split timeline between the past and current day, where we learn more and more of what actually happened from that day forward. I had never heard of the Mothers and Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo, a group of women who fought tirelessly to hold the dictatorship accountable for the loss of their children and grandchildren. Thank you, Ms. Sanford, for enlightening me.

I am always a fan of a solid historical fiction novel that that can be read by young people as well. Because this novel reads a bit like YA, it is one that can span many ages and educate the masses.

Many thanks to partner @tlcbooktours for this #gifted review copy.

Read 8/13/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...