๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah

I began reading this book because it came up as a "Daily Deal" on Audible. It was deeply discounted for a day, and sounded intriguing; why not?! At first, I regretted my decision; it was full of banal moments, and the concept had very little novelty.  Then about half-way through, my perspective began to change. Initially, I had presumed this novel to be relatively shallow chick-lit; when suddenly, it became a deep, engaging, and honest look at friendship, family, and the ties that bind.  

Though she certainly had reason for her obnoxious behavior, Tully's selfishness was truly galling throughout the novel. Although that is how she was purposefully characterized, it was still difficult to stomach, especially when contrasted with Kate's resounding compassion. I particularly loved Johnny's depth and loyalty.

It was a lovely, nostalgic stroll down memory lane, with music, fashion, and major headlines from each decade beginning in the 70's. Coupled with the fast passage of time, those elements leave the reader feeling wistful. I certainly shed some tears at the end, so the author absolutely succeeded in eliciting emotion. Throughout much of the novel, I thought it might change into a clandestine, smutty, eye-roller, as there was surely opportunity for it. Thankfully, Ms. Hannah didn't fall into that irritating trap. Overall, it was an enjoyable, moving story, that left me wanting to hug my loved ones.


Read 11/24/14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...