๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: Children of the Catastrophe, by Sarah Shoemaker

Children of the Catastrophe
This was a really unique novel. It read like a family drama and then morphed into this massive tragedy. I appreciated the history, since I knew very little about the massacre of the Greeks and Armenians after WWI.

What struck me about this book is what a solid 180° it took, perhaps to drive home the point that everything is fine until it isn't when it comes to rising political tensions. There was so little redemption at the end that it left me completely bereft. I suppose that speaks to the great job that the author did with character development. But, I'll be honest, I really struggled with it. I think because this book toggled between historical fiction and family drama, the massive tragedy at the end seemed to come out of left field.

Thank you kindly, partners, TLC Books and Harper Perennial for this gifted review copy!
        

Read 11/15/23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...