๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Limits, by Nell Freudenberger

The Limits
Get ready for some drama surrounding my favorite topic, and yours, the Covid years! I applaud how Nell Freudenberger captured the emotions and uncertainty of the years surrounding the Covid pandemic. It still seems to be a surreal experience in light of all that happened. This particular story took place in two very different parts of the world: NYC & Mo'Orea island in French Polynesia. It follows the lives of 4 people all bound together by familial obligation. The overarching protagonist, 15-year-old Pia, is the glue that binds - as she is shuttled between her mother, a scientist in Mo'Orea and her father, a doctor, and his young wife in NYC.

The novel takes readers back to that most trying time in our very recent history. Ms. Freudenberger excelled in bringing me right back to the feelings, emotions, and struggles of Covid. There were so many things I had forgotten, things that were so unknown and absolutely terrifying at the time. It was a good reminder of what we've overcome.

I especially appreciated the historical information of nuclear testing in and around the islands, which I knew little about. But you all know I'm a sucker for a good history lesson!

I will admit that some of the technical descriptions of the research went over my head, and I could've done without so much French dialogue that wasn't always fully translated. I didn't like how casually teen sex was approached, if I'm honest, and Pia's infatuation with a much older man was uncomfy for me. I also didn't love the May/December marriage - it was evident Pia's father wasn't fully over his first wife.

However, this story tackles a lot aside from Covid, including broken families, poverty, politics, and environmental degradation as it pertains to mining of coral reefs. I feel as though the author handled each topic with care and respect.

Many thanks to partners, Alfred A. Knopf and NetGalley for this gifted review copy.

Read 6/16/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿ‘ถ: The Outlaw Noble Salt, by Amy Harmon

You'd best hop on the fastest train and grab yourself a copy of this magnificently-rendered novel. Only Amy Harmon can mak...